Friday, January 20, 2012

Book Review: The Count of Monte Cristo



Rating: FIVE STARS!!!

**Disclaimer: I suck at book reviews. I just liked it, okay? What more do you need to know?**

I started reading this book by accident. I was in the mood for a classic and, as I was perusing the book store, recalled that my crit partner Ruth Lauren Steven's favorite book is The Count of Monte Cristo. So I bought it (despite the fact the thing is MASSIVE, as in, just shy of 1500 pages massive). Then I let Ruth know the next day that I'd bought it. Imagine my surprise when she wrote back to say she had no idea why I thought it was her favorite. Turns out it was Captain Corelli's Mandolin. HA! I'm such a loser! But I bought it and was now officially committed to it.

Turns out I'm glad I made that mistake. The book was AMAZING!

The plot was fast-paced, intricately woven, perfectly executed, and in one word--brilliant! It featured just enough romance to make it non-boring in my eyes--I do like there to be at least a little romance in my reads, and this book delivered--and is, in my opinion, a great read for men and women alike. There were times it seemed that characters were introduced that were irrelevant to the plot, and we'd spend a lot of time in their point of view, but in the end it became clear that not a detail was mentioned that wasn't crucial to the well thought out ending.

A great book, and I suggest you all read it if you haven't already. It's a classic for a reason, people!




9 comments:

  1. I haven't read it yet, but your review has me intrigued. I think I just might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky for you I own it and am in the lending mood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sheer size of the book is exactly what scared me away. I have the attention span of a gerbil, so I have a hard time commiting to that many pages for one story. It's like War and Peace. You can tell me it's a classic, but I'm just not reading it. But if you say it's good, I just might give it a chance. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gerbil? Fair enough, haha! But it is a great read if you should ever have 3 months of free time to fill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Took me six months to get through this book.

    *shame*

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband bought the book for me two years ago, and I still haven't finished it. Oy! I want to though as I do love a good adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this book! It is definitely in my top five and maybe higher. If you liked it you need to read The Three Musketeers, too. I've also read The Black Tulip, which is also excellent though it is smaller, more obscure, and more romance than adventure-oriented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Susan. I definitely will add those to my reading list :)

    ReplyDelete